It's important, I feel, to plan for the long term. How things are done in the earliest stages of a project can have a great impact on the later stages, for better or for worse.
With this in mind, I'm trying to make sure that all our work in pre-production is done in ways that will make our lives easier later, even if it costs a bit of time now. For example, the first image, a reference ensuring level construction in Unity is standardised. Placing 1,1,1 as the rear-wall corner point means that each wall occupies the 0-coordinate on each axis, and gives us the flexibility to use levels of varying size without making the coding any more difficult than it needs to be. To work with this, terrain blocks, hazards and so on will also occupy standard cubic volumes and have their pivots placed in the rear corner – that way, setting an object's position to 4,1,2 will place it in the 4th column, 2nd row, at a height of 1 (on top of the ground). Easy to predict, easy to understand, easy to work with.
On the right is a sketch I made for the GDD, ensuring the operation of the fall-height mechanic is as clear as possible. Miscommunication causes problems, so good documentation and standardisation is essential in making sure everything runs smoothly!
In a game jam last year, I made a neat little puzzle game with a few people at AIE. It went well, we were pretty happy with it, and of course we encountered a whole bunch of technical issues 15 minutes before the deadline (as is tradition).
Anyway, the underlying gameplay was actually pretty promising, so I'm reviving the project. It had been one that I'd intended to revisit after graduation, but decided to pitch it for major projects instead, and it was one of the pitches selected to go into pre-production.
I have a small team for the project, and the next few weeks will see us put together a pitch for the industry panel, along with an early prototype and a more solid idea of what the production will entail. More news to follow!